Sunday, June 15, 2008

Is there such thing as a "good" break-up?

A quick thought....(well, in my world of never ending words and thoughts....)

Twice in my life, I have had what I consider "good" break-ups. Really great relationships, wonderful people. But at the end of the day, the relationship just wasn't long-term material. Something we both realized, and both accepted as it was. Yet, even in knowing that, there were plenty of tears on both sides as well as a difficult period of adjustment for both of us as well.

I suppose it's more about irony than anything else. A "good break-up." Really, a bit of a contradiction. Yes, there are "bad" break-ups filled with anger and vengeance. Which is why we have the ability to claim "good" once in a while. They're good in that they don't result in two people hating one another or trying to get even. No grudges or confusion as to "was it me?" or "what could I have done differently?". Yet, still not good in that more time has passed with the wrong person (though....not necessarily wasted time, something is always gained as we grow). Bad in the sadness and loneliness of losing someone you do undoubtedly care deeply about. Bad because it is a loss, no matter how you look at it.

So really...is it really a good break-up? Perhaps "one of the better" would be more appropriate...